Since the good weather arrives and we change the footwear for another lighter and cooler, such as sandals, we want to give you a series of tips or guidelines so that you can clean your esparto or jute sandals correctly and thus be able to prolong the life of these for much longer.
How to wash them without damaging the esparto grass?
The first and essential thing that you should know is that you do not have to put them in the washing machine, since when the esparto gets wet and, much more, when it is soaked it suffers irreparable damage. It swells and falls apart, so it loses consistency, in addition to giving off a bad smell.
Keep in mind that they are made of two materials, the esparto grass and the canvas that covers the foot.
To clean your espadrilles you need:
- Two dry microfiber rags
- A nail brush
- Soda soap or mild detergent
- Warm water.
1. First of all, it removes dust or dirt from the sole. For this we will use a dry cotton cloth with which we can quickly clean the most superficial dirt.
2. Prepare in a container a mixture containing: Two glasses of water + tablespoon of mild detergent. Stir the mixture well and with this we will obtain a mixture or soapy solution with which we can remove all kinds of stains from our jute sole.
3. Take a toothbrush and dip the bristles in our soapy mixture.
4. Rub the brush gently on the sole surface, because if you apply too much force, you can untwist the strands.
5. Finally, dry with a cloth to remove the remains of the soap
Once the esparto or jute is cleaned, we will clean the upper part. If it is made of canvas:
- Make another container of soapy water (like esparto grass)
- Use a cotton cloth instead of the toothbrush
- Wet one end of the rag and apply it directly to the canvas, gently wiping and rubbing in circles.
- Take another slightly damp cotton cloth to rinse and remove the applied soap.
- Let it air dry
However, if the sandals are leather, we advise you to buy a cleaning kit specialized in leather (which you can buy in almost all shoe stores), and follow these steps:
- Read the instructions of the purchased product well, to know the amount you should use.
- Grab a microfiber cloth or rag.
- Rub gently in circular motions
- Never use water in this case, just use the skin cleaning kit product. In this way we prevent water from damaging the tissue and the properties of the skin.
And ready, your sandals will look clean and neat. As simple as that. Following these tips you will keep your esparto sandals clean and cared for a long time.