Watermelon is one of the most consumed fruits in the summer season, thanks to its delicious flavor and its high content of nutrients, it helps us to refresh ourselves on these hot days. Watermelon quenches thirst being one of the fruits with more hydrating and diuretic power.
1. It is a natural source of vitamins and minerals, which with its consumption helps to keep the skin hydrated from the inside, also its fiber content contributes to eliminate toxins from our body.
2. This fruit is an ideal food in weight loss diets, since it improves circulation, digestion and fluid elimination.
3. Watermelon contains a lot of water (approx. 95%) and a small amount of fiber, both of which are important for healthy digestion. Fiber can add bulk to your stool, while water helps the digestive tract move efficiently.
4. Additionally, watermelon is famous for harboring lycopene, the antioxidant pigment that gives the fruit its red color. And this is good to protect the heart.
5. Thanks to its vitamin C content, this fruit also has healing properties that help regenerate skin damaged by burns, cuts or trauma faster.
6. It is ideal to cleanse the face and combat different skin impurities such as open pores, blackheads and pimples thanks to its astringent properties.
7. Watermelon has a natural pigment called beta-cryptoxanthin that can protect your joints from inflammation. Studies show that its intake could decrease the probability of contracting rheumatoid arthritis in the long term.
8. It is rich in potassium, a mineral that could reduce cramps in the gym. You can have watermelon juice (or a couple of slices) after a workout or any other exertional activity.
9. Despite being sweet, watermelon helps improve blood sugar levels, which means that it is suitable for diabetics and can be included in their diet without any problem.
10. It is a great source of beta-carotene (that's why that reddish color inside) that turns into vitamin A. It helps produce pigments in the retina of the eye and protects against age-related macular degeneration.