Onychomycosis, commonly known as toenail fungus, is a condition characterized by inflammation, pain, and swelling of the toe, as well as yellowing, thickening, and crumbling of the nails.
Usually it does not usually cause discomfort and, if it is not treated in time, it can become chronic. They can be caused by the fungi belonging to Candida. Although it is not the only one, another very common is Trichophyton rubrum.
- Excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis of the feet: fungi find their ideal medium to grow in humidity.
- Keep your feet wet for a long time.
- Walking barefoot in public places, such as showers, changing rooms, or public swimming pools. Not wearing well-protected feet facilitates contagion infection.
- Having suffered athlete's foot before, that is, having previously had skin fungus. In this case, the infection can spread to the nails.
- Having a weakened immune system, either due to certain diseases or medical treatments.
- Suffering from some pathologies such as psoriasis or diabetes, or having circulation problems.
- Aging: as the toenails get older, they tend to be more fragile and tend to dry out and crack, facilitating the passage of fungus.
- Increased thickness.
- Color changes
- Bad smell.
- Foil opacity.
- Separation of the sheet from the bed.
- Increased keratin formation.
There are many remedies to treat fungi, you can go to the doctor to diagnose you and send the treatment that he considers appropriate according to your case. But there are also other more homemade treatments or "remedies" that are also very effective. Here we recommend some of them:
Garlic is a powerful natural antimicrobial so it will help us eliminate nail fungus. We must boil 10 garlic cloves in 2 cups of water, then pour the water with the garlic cloves in a container until it cools a little. Put the previously washed feet in the garlic water for 15 minutes. This remedy can be repeated for 4 weeks interdaily.
Lavender Essential Oil:
Lavender essential oil is one of the few essences that can be applied to the skin without diluting it with another conductive substance. You can use it alone or it can also be mixed with tea tree oil, and with the help of a swab or a cotton ball, rub it over the diseased nail. If you can heat the oils it is much better, because their healing properties are activated much more than when cold. Perform this procedure 3 times a day.
Apple cider vinegar is an effective treatment for finger and toenail infections, which can be resistant to modern medications.
Prepare a foot bath with 1 liter of warm water and half a cup of apple cider vinegar and let the feet soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Once you remove your feet from the water, dry your feet thoroughly, first with a paper towel and then with a hair dryer, to completely remove moisture, especially under the nails and between the toes.
You can also apply the apple cider vinegar directly to the infected nail with a brush about three times a day until it heals.
Tea Tree Oil:
As an antiseptic and fungicidal remedy, tea tree oil is a great remedy for onychomycosis. First clean the affected area with alcohol and then apply the 100% pure tea tree oil without diluting directly to the affected nails. After about ten minutes, we gently rub the nail with a soft bristle brush.
We must repeat every day until a new healthy nail grows completely, then we must continue with the treatment for onychomycosis for two or three more weeks to prevent it from growing back.
Baking soda and borax:
Baking soda, a super alkaline, prevents nail fungus from spreading by creating an uninhabitable environment for them. Borax is a natural mineral that is also a powerful fungicide.
Combined they create a remedy that can cure nail fungus quickly. Mix equal parts of powdered borax and baking soda with enough water to form a paste. Then we put the mixture and rub it on the infected nails. Do this twice a day and for at least two weeks after the fungus clears.
Believe it or not, the Vick VapoRub that we use for colds and headaches has also given good results fighting nail fungus. Its active ingredients, eucalyptus oil and camphor, can help treat toenail fungus. To use it, we just have to wash our feet and dry them well, then spread a little Vick VapoRub on the nails and that's it. We must do this twice a day until we see improvement.
This procedure is very simple, we just have to wash our feet and leave the nails wet, then we put salt on the nails and put on our stockings. We must repeat this 2 times a day.
Caprylic acid, one of the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil, has the ability to penetrate the long-lasting cell wall of candida and other fungi. Without its protective coating, the cells of the fungus dissolve, effectively destroying the infection. Apply a thin layer of coconut oil to the infected areas and let it soak in for at least fifteen minutes. Coconut oil is great for skin health, so there is no limit to how often you can use this treatment. Just make sure you are not allergic to coconuts before applying this product to sensitive tissues.
Tips to prevent contagion:
- Keep nails short.
- Clean the feet every day with soap and water and dry them very well, paying close attention to the toes and reaching all the folds.
- Wear socks or stockings made of natural fabrics, such as cotton, and change them every time they get wet, or at least once a day.
- Avoid shoes with a pointed or tight finish and made of synthetic material.
- Let the shoes dry for at least 24 hours.
- Do not walk barefoot through common areas, such as swimming pools, saunas, changing rooms, showers ... In these types of facilities you should always wear sandals or flip flops.
- Do not put your feet in hot water for a long time.
- Do not share towels or socks with other people.
- Moisturize your feet every day.
Recommendation: Before starting any treatment, the nails must be soaked so that they soften and trim them little by little, it can also be gently filed over the entire surface of the nail, so our home remedy will penetrate it faster, the idea is to remove everything the diseased tissue that grows.